1.12.10

#4 - The letter hath arrived!/The unknown

This post comes in two parts. Well, three, kinda. OK, three parts.

1) News: snow and stuff
So God decided to shed his dandruff on us today.
It was a substantial amount to have fun with, but not nearly enough for a snow day. My school will stay open forever, no joke. Last year, we only had one snow day, while all the other kids practically had a week off school.
I won't go on, because I'm sick of snow already.

2) My news: Hamlet and stuff
I was watching 'Hamlet' at the National, otherwise I'd have posted earlier. 'Twas very good indeed. Roy Kinnear, who plays Hamlet, shows such raw emotion and versatility. He's awesome. Watch it.
One thing I gotta say though, Shakespeare: your play is a tad too long. (3 hours 45 minutes!)
Oh, and Ruth Negga, who appears in Misfits, plays Ophelia! I thought she looked familiar...

So the big news: the letter has arrived!
Finally.
Actually, I admit to being a bit impatient.
Is patience a virtue?
OK, I can't be bothered to go into that. I sorta want to sleep. Maybe. I'll decide later.

My Russian teacher has asked me several times whether or not I had received the letter.
As I'd kept telling her that I hadn't, she'd said, 'No news is good news'. Which, in a way, has some kind of truth. What you don't know can't hurt you, right?
Of course, what I was fearing was a rejection letter, but the whole not knowing and waiting was driving me insane (like Ophelia... Ooh everything goes back to Hamlet!) - I just wanted an answer!
This... un-knowledge (what's the opposite of knowledge? Oblivion? Ignorance? That's not quite the right word I want to use here...), anyway, yes, this UN-knowledge, leads me to my third and final point...

3) The unknown and stuff
What I want to talk about is the unknown. Briefly, because it's now approaching 1am, and sleep beckons.
You think you're clever, right? Don't lie, I know you do.
But think of all the things you don't know. There are more things you don't know than you will ever know in your entire life. If you understand what I'm saying.
Let's try again. I'm going to try and illustrate this by using a diagram:


Although (I think) knowledge is infinite, let's say, for the purposes of this explanation, that the circle represents all knowledge.
The tiny red dot at the bottom of the circle, represents your knowledge. This is an exaggerated diagram, because the extent of your knowledge is smaller than this red dot. It's so miniscule, it shouldn't even be visible.

Not even the cleverest person that ever lived, or will live, will ever know everything there is to know.
You see, knowledge is infinite, because it encompasses all the things that we won't ever know - for example, things that will happen in the future, things that happened in the past and a constantly growing number of other things.
I've used the word 'thing' too much. Ah well.

Alright, that's it, I'm going to sleep. Sorry to leave you so abruptly, but sleep has stopped beckoning and is now dragging me by the ear.
Have a good, um, morning. Or day. Or evening...

Holy moly guacamole - it's December!
Pinch punch, first of the month and no returns.

1 comment:

  1. YEAH YEAH WHATEVER, WHAT DO YOU KNOW ANYWAY. (BTWIMJK) xD

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. Or don't. Whatever.